Adults in the United States want to see punitive measures established to curb illegal immigration. The British publication The Economist, had the poll conducted in mid-December.
At least 75 per cent of respondents supported increasing fines for employers who hire illegal immigrants, requiring police to report illegal immigrants to the federal government, and making it a crime to hire illegal immigrants.
Two-thirds (67 per cent) want the National Guard to patrol the Mexican Border, and 57 per cent want more border fences built.
- Increasing fines for employers who hire illegal immigrants - 81% support, 11% oppose, 8% not sure
- Require police to report illegal immigrants to federal government - 77% support, 14% oppose, 10% not sure
- Making it a crime to hire illegal immigrants - 75% support, 15% oppose, 10% not sure
- Using the National Guard to patrol the Mexican Border - 67% support, 20% oppose, 13% not sure
- Building more border fences - 57% support, 27% oppose, 16% not sure